Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3 Delete Key

Author: jack horsfield
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3 Delete Key
On 01/01/12 11:46, john lewis wrote:
> for reasons known only to the developers the action of the "Delete" no
> longer works as it used to. Something to do with preventing people
> accidentally deleting files in Nautilus.
>
> Ctrl-Delete is supposed to give the old action, but doesn't as that
> deletes the whole word to the right of the cursor. The numeric keypad
> "Del" does work as required so I really need to be able to tell
> "Delete" to work as another "Del"
>
> I have been looking at xmodmap but as I'm suffering from a very heavy
> cold cannot make much sense of the manpage.
>
> If anyone has found a permanent fix* for this cockup or can tell me how
> to remap the key I'll be most obliged. Googling only provides solutions
> to the way it works in Nautilus, which didn't work for me as it
> happens. I'm not in the least worried about how the Delete key works
> in Nautilus 'cos I almost never use it, that sort of thing is done
> using mc.

i haven't got this particular problem, so can't test the fix...

...but you could do this with autokey.

you need to set up a script so that the Delete key runs a script that
sends <np_delete>

article on how to create such a script:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26913/how-to-customize-shortcut-keys-for-any-linux-application/

list of keys here: http://code.google.com/p/autokey/wiki/SpecialKeys

i get on fairly well with autokey. essentially it's a way of mapping
python to keys, with some windows-key-clipboard functionality thrown in.

it's no match for the glorious AutoHotkey on Windows, but it does work
pretty well.

jack

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???