Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3 Delete Key

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3 Delete Key
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:56:25 +0000 (GMT)
chris procter <chris-procter@???> wrote:

> > for reasons known only to the developers the action of the "Delete"
> > no
>
> > longer works as it used to. Something to do with preventing people
> > accidentally deleting files in Nautilus.
> >
> > The primary use for the "Delete" in every  system I have used till
> > now has been for removing the character to the right of the cursor
> > (with backspace removing character to left of the cursor position)
> >
> > This usage is pretty well essential for text editing in any app I
> > can think of. Now if I hit "Delete" gnome 3 switches me to a
> > workspace to left of current workspace,  I am of course working in
> > Classic mode.
> >
> > Ctrl-Delete is supposed to give the old action, but doesn't as that
> > deletes the whole word to the right of the cursor. The numeric
> > keypad "Del" does work as required so I really need to be able to
> > tell "Delete" to work as another "Del"
> >
> > I have been looking at xmodmap but as I'm suffering from a very
> > heavy cold cannot make much sense of the manpage.

<snipped>

> Works For Me. Fedora 16/Gnome 3.2 in non-classic mode and delete
> works fine.
>
> At the risk of an obvious question is it set up as a shortcut in
> System Settings (System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts->Navigation) ?
> In mine "Move One Workspace To The Left" is set to Shift-Ctl-Alt-Left
> but if yours is set to Delete then that might explain it and its easy
> to change. Xmodmap is not exactly friendly!

I found the delete key _had_ been set as a shortcut to "Move One
Workspace To The Left" so have now corrected that to my usual shortcut
for a keyboard with a Win Key

And I have, temporarily at least, resolved the "Delete" key
problem. I first tried

    xmodmap -e "keycode 119 = Delete",

that didn't seem to work but

     xmodmap -e "keycode 119 = KP_Delete"

works fine, probably need to put that line into a ~/.XModmap file or
some such to make it more permanent.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid