Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

Author: Jonathan Hudson
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 11:03:03 -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:

>Hi all
>

>I think I'm going to take the plunge with Zen's Fibre Active package. I've
>done a lot of reading but I can't find anywhere answers to my key questions
>- grateful if anyone can fill in the gaps:

Good plan. I did this 6 months ago (with Zen), and have no regrets.
Went from a very flaky rural 1.6Mbs to 20+Mbs (we're about 5km from
the exchange and according to the BT technician, 'a long away from the
cabinet'.

I used an old Linux PPC laptop with the standard linux PPPOE stuff for
a (short) while, before settling on a basic Microtik router.

The BT guys were not helpful --- failed to turn up at the appointed
time. Seemed shocked I wasn't on BT Infinity, told me the powerline
from the VDSL box to the router would not work, told me the Linux
laptop wouldn't work --- generally clueless. Zen were magnificent,
particularly then BT failed to make the appointment and denied all
knowledge of the install ... and then turned up an hour later after
Zen's intervention.

Enjoy the speed,

-jh

--