Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment
>>Is there a set top box out there that basically does the job of a TiVO or
BT
homehub/infinitiy/whateveritscalled but is not tied to a particular ISP?<<

Rob,

If you are just after freeview TV, the ability to record, and stream content
such as iPlayer, there are several DVRs out there that will do the job with
a BT Infinity connection. If they are DLNA certified they can also be used
to stream content from PCs and NAS drives. I am using TVmobili to watch
content from my lady's PC in Egham. She has the BT Infinity installation.
That required me to set up port forwarding in her homehub.

As far as I can determine by looking through all the config settings of the
homehub, you can substitute your own router attached to the BT modem.

Two of the best DVRs are made by Humax and Sony. If you are using an older
TV, not all DVRs have SCART.

I have a TIVO box connected to my Virgin Cable installation. It is very
good, but I have yet to crack controlling it using my slingbox. I spent
nine years living in Cyprus, so obtaining UK TV was a challenge - I
installed a 4.2 metre dish on our building but had the backup of using my UK
based slingbox when the signal faded.

I am off to the ski slopes shortly, and access my slingbox from Switzerland
as most hotels have limited UK TV.
I can access it from my Galaxy S11.

Hope this helps,

Mike