[Hampshire] Dying HDDs

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Dying HDDs
Hi all

As you may remember from my post last week, my Ubuntu machine's HD died.
Despite a brand new HDD I'm having intermittent problems ranging from
install failing to complete with another HDD error to the BIOS not detecting
the drive at all.

I have literally just tried a new SATA data cable and all (so far touch
wood!) seems well. The thing is - if the problem persists - what part
should I look at replacing next? The PSU? The mobo? Could this be some
sort of mains AC problem and would a new surge protector be more the order
of the day? I should add I have several other boxes on the same ring main
that appear to be working fine.

Are these "new" (yada yada I know I'm not exactly Mr Current Affairs) SATA
data cables any better or worse for bad connections than other types of BUS
e.g. usb or even pata ide?

Cheers

Rob

--