Re: [Hampshire] Dying HDDs

Author: Isaac Close
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dying HDDs
On 06/02/2012 18:09, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi all
>
> As you may remember from my post last week, my Ubuntu machine's HD
> died. Despite a brand new HDD I'm having intermittent problems
> ranging from install failing to complete with another HDD error to the
> BIOS not detecting the drive at all.
>
> I have literally just tried a new SATA data cable and all (so far
> touch wood!) seems well. The thing is - if the problem persists -
> what part should I look at replacing next? The PSU? The mobo? Could
> this be some sort of mains AC problem and would a new surge protector
> be more the order of the day? I should add I have several other
> boxes on the same ring main that appear to be working fine.
>
> Are these "new" (yada yada I know I'm not exactly Mr Current Affairs)
> SATA data cables any better or worse for bad connections than other
> types of BUS e.g. usb or even pata ide?

These days, it is PSU's that seem to go bandy more frequently than
anything else and it is usually intermittent.

I use a PSU testing tool (a half decent one with an LCD display costs
around 40 GBP), its proved a great investment. And, I have dealt with a
few thousand machines in the past couple of years or so and my findings
appear consistent.

Hope that helps,

Isaac.
--