Re: [Hampshire] Portable linux firewall

Author: Bryn Jones
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Portable linux firewall
On 01/04/12 19:00, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> On another well-known operating system beginning with 'W', there are
> security programs such as AVG and Kaspersky that include a firewall.
> When running on a laptop, these programs detect when you've connected
> to a new network and ask you whether or not it's a trusted network so
> that they can set firewall rules appropriately.
>
> I've been unable to find equivalent software on Linux. I'm looking
> for something that the average home user can cope with, for example
> someone running Ubuntu on a laptop. Ubuntu has ufw (and its gufw
> front-end) which allow setting up rules for a trusted local network
> such as 192.168.1.0/24. But what if they then connect to a friends's
> network, or a network in a cafe/hotel etc., which may by chance have
> the same address range?
>
> Has anyone come across something that deals with such situations?
>
> cheers
>
> Chris

Chris I have a similar project...... I'll be looking into this FYI
stonewall/gate whatever they're called once sold industrial strength
firewalls in a lil box (for a credit card processing system) for about
10k a piece...... their tech showed me the software guts, it was
iptables IIRC with a cool overlay.

Wahhhhhhh!!!!

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???