[Hampshire] Cross-compiling Debian packages

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Cross-compiling Debian packages

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f41100.hantslug.org.uk.15916': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 19 12:18:06 2012 BST
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Hi all,

I'm trying to cross-compile a Debian package for an ARM target on my x86
box and failing miserably. The target has Debian Lenny installed, and
so I have also installed Lenny on my development box.

I have tried Googling, but the search results are dominated by articles
on setting up a cross-compiler on Debian, which is not what I need -- I
have already installed a cross-compiler using Emdebian, which works
fine: I can compile 'hello world' into an ARM executable, which runs on
the target. What I can't seem to do is persuade Debian to build
packages using it!

I thought it should be as simple as calling dpkg-buildpackage with the
-a option, but that doesn't work: It tries to do the right thing, and
produces a binary package with the correct architecture suffix, but the
binaries inside are all x86. How can I persuade it to use the Emdebian
toolchain?

Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@???>