Re: [Hampshire] Shutting down a server cleanly

Author: James Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shutting down a server cleanly
On 19 April 2012 20:54, Tim Brocklehurst <timb@???> wrote:
> Hmmm. Not what I've seen...
>
> IPMI provides a series of options as given by ipmitool. These are status, on,
> off, cycle, reset, diag, soft. I have not played with them extensively (yet),
> but (on my hardware) "on" certainly emulates pressing the power button to
> start up, and "off" emulates a power button press to shutdown, as from the
> following transcript:
>
> timb@mozart:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H bmcfant1 -U root -P<password> power on
> Chassis Power Control: Up/On
> timb@mozart:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H bmcfant1 -U root -P <password> power off
> Chassis Power Control: Down/Off
>

> timb@fantasia1:~$
> Broadcast message from root@fantasia1 (Thu Apr 19 20:49:19 2012):
>
> Power button pressed
> The system is going down for system halt NOW!
>

> It seems reasonable to conclude from James' assertion and this test that not
> all hardware is created equal, and therefore, you may or may not be able to
> duplicate this behaviour.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim B.

Hmm, good point Tim! My experiences with IPMI is that even though you
sometimes get the console message if current SSH'ed in;
> Broadcast message from root@fantasia1 (Thu Apr 19 20:49:19 2012):
>
> Power button pressed
> The system is going down for system halt NOW!

The server is off within about 1 second from them, where as running
"shutdown -h now" takes 10 +/- seconds, so an ungraceful shut-down has
been performed. I guess it's hard to tell what effect your IPMI
interface is going to have without being present at the server.

In either case, "YMMV" I think is the best approach :)

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???