Re: [Hampshire] Shutting down a server cleanly

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shutting down a server cleanly
On Thursday 19 Apr 2012 18:14:32 James Bensley wrote:
> On 19 April 2012 18:00, Tim Brocklehurst <timb@???> wrote:
> > If you have IPMI on the server (which you will on full server-class
> > hardware) then you can do remote poweroff/poweron reasonably easily (I
> > can easily demonstrate this at the next meeting if there is demand.
>
> I disagree with this idea (sorry Tim!).
>
> It is a practical idea but using IPMI to power down a server, hard
> powers it down.

Hmmm. Not what I've seen...

IPMI provides a series of options as given by ipmitool. These are status, on,
off, cycle, reset, diag, soft. I have not played with them extensively (yet),
but (on my hardware) "on" certainly emulates pressing the power button to
start up, and "off" emulates a power button press to shutdown, as from the
following transcript:

timb@mozart:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H bmcfant1 -U root -P<password> power on
Chassis Power Control: Up/On
timb@mozart:~$ ipmitool -I lan -H bmcfant1 -U root -P <password> power off
Chassis Power Control: Down/Off

timb@fantasia1:~$
Broadcast message from root@fantasia1 (Thu Apr 19 20:49:19 2012):

Power button pressed
The system is going down for system halt NOW!

It seems reasonable to conclude from James' assertion and this test that not
all hardware is created equal, and therefore, you may or may not be able to
duplicate this behaviour.

Cheers,

Tim B.

--