Re: [Hampshire] Netbooks

Author: Full Circle Podcast
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbooks
Sean: my Dell Mini 10 is a bit long in the tooth now but bual boots Win7
and Ubuntu 11.10.

It came cheap from http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/ but they don't
discriminate, they sell to anyone. There's some decent 2nd hand/refurb kit
on there worth a look if you want cut price and not bleeding edge kit.

Friends of mine have Samsung and HP netbooks of last years's models, all
good. Screens on all of them are great, chiclet island keyboards on their's
I find a let down. The Acer Aspires are also good.

You should think of finding the latest Atom processor you can afford, there
is a noticeable difference between the current 450's and the earlier N270 I
got, more horsepower, the onboard graphics are better. That said, mines'
been fine as my out-and-about workhorse and it drives my 20in screen over
VGA at hi-res, so I've not complaints.

2Gb memory also better than 1Gb. If you're not scared to dismantle the
thing, you may be able to upgrade the memory as I did mine (
http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-upgrade-dell-mini-10v-memory.html),
but hardly any netbooks at the bottom end take more than 2Gb RAM.

Battery life is seldom as quoted; my Dell Atom N270 is good for 4 hrs not
7-8. Those Samsung and HP's I mentioned with the Atom N450 are much more
efficient and get closer to 7hrs.

That's probably the main headlines from me for now.

--
Rgds
RC

Robin Catling