Re: [Hampshire] Quiet and cool PC running?

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Quiet and cool PC running?
On Tuesday 01 May 2012 22:17:40 Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> The CPU is a 3Ghz P4 which are known to produce a lot of
> heat so this may just be normal operation.

Yep, the 3GHz P4 is basically a small electric fire, by modern standards.
However, there are heatsink and fan combos that are reasonably quiet. Look for
big heatsinks and big fans, run at low RPM.

> I'm planning to buy a motherboard bundle from eBay that features a Core 2

Duo (eg. E6750)
> as I understand that these run much cooler.

Any particular reason for Core2Duo and not i5/i7 or phenom/bulldozer?

> As for the fan I was thinking
> of fitting an aftermarket CPU cooler, has anyone got any experience with
> the Zalman type fan such as this:
> http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=164
> Do they really make a difference?

That one looks interesting. There are some other (more monolithic) blocks with
larger fans.

The reason for looking to large diameter fans is to move the same amount of
air with much reduced noise. There are some very detailed explanations of why
this happens on the web, if you are particulary interested in this aspect
(essentially, you operate a larger blade at lower lift, thereby reducing the
vortex strength).

Hope this helps,

Tim B.

--