Re: [Hampshire] Tape drives - one can't read from t'other!

Author: James Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tape drives - one can't read from t'other!
On Fri, 4 Oct 2024 at 17:01, Tim via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> One of the common issue I had back when doing tape backup was head alignment, it only had to be a fraction out and then you had the situation you have now. I know some drive did have a slight bit of alignment option but not knowing it it up or down left or right it would be a bit of trial and error (even slackening the securing screws and retightening the screw might be enough. The other point to check is how clean is the head, it might need a clean.

I would suspect the tape head alignment also.
Back in the day, we just got the tape backup devices serviced /
calibrated / aligned at regular intervals. I don't know what the
service engineer did but it kept them working well.
It was a good choice you made, to get two devices, otherwise you would
never have found out that you had a problem.

Keep in mind that tape media deteriorates over time, so make new
duplicates over time.

Kind Regards

James

--