Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: Andy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
On 13/11/06, Jamie Webb <j@???> wrote:
> It wouldn't kill Debian to play nice like the
> other distros.

And what happens if Mozilla decide they are too busy to look at
Debian's patches?
What if Debian are trying to fix an integration issue, are they going
to have to contact Mozilla for approval every time they write a 3 line
patch? that could take forever.

They may also need to backport security fixes, I don't know about
Debian's packaging policy, but I know Ubuntu's is once it's released
its not upgraded, except for major bugs and mainly security (unless
you enable backports, but the other version is still kept up to date).
The life of Dapper is 3 years (on the desktop), do Mozilla guarantee
not to end of life this age of products, no they do not, in fact I
believe the may EoL earlier than that, its the last 2 releases isn't
it?

If you wanted to use Mozilla's version with no changes it would be a
security hazard when the EoL it. If you submit your patches you risk
them saying 'no we don't like this patch, you indented it wrong' or
some other stupid reason. thus slowing down the length of time to push
out fixes.

> So Firefox as distributed isn't DFSG-free? Big deal.

The Debian people have their beliefs and they stick to them, good on
them. if you don't want to be stuck with those things, use a different
distro, or grab your own version of Mozilla FireFox.

One thing that did confuse me was I heard that the Debian replacement
was just a change of name and artwork nothing more. The GNU version
actually has feature enhancements, does this make 3 different versions
then? Oh well I guess I will just use which ever program canonical put
into Ubuntu, for now FireFox.

Only thing I find disappointing is FireFox is trying to make a bid for
I.E.'s market share on the web stats, will the IceWeasel thing mean
that people who are essential using FireFox code will not be counted
as FireFox users on stats?

- Andy

--
DRM: Digital Restrictions Management -- learn about the dangers at