Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: Jamie Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:51:51AM +0000, Andy wrote:
> And what happens if Mozilla decide they are too busy to look at
> Debian's patches?
> What if Debian are trying to fix an integration issue, are they going
> to have to contact Mozilla for approval every time they write a 3 line
> patch? that could take forever.

Thing is, the other distros don't seem to have a problem, so what's so
special about Debian?

> >So Firefox as distributed isn't DFSG-free? Big deal.
> The Debian people have their beliefs and they stick to them, good on
> them. if you don't want to be stuck with those things, use a different
> distro, or grab your own version of Mozilla FireFox.

As I said, this is indeed not a practical problem. The issue I have is
that Debian's free software zealotry may damage the uptake of Firefox
(and perhaps consequently free software in general). Much as the
utopians might like to disbelive this, branding is very important.
IceWeasel could damage the Firefox brand.

> Only thing I find disappointing is FireFox is trying to make a bid for
> I.E.'s market share on the web stats, will the IceWeasel thing mean
> that people who are essential using FireFox code will not be counted
> as FireFox users on stats?

Browser detection should look for Gecko rather than Firefox. Of course
saying that doesn't make it so...

-- Jamie Webb