Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57327100.hantslug.org.uk.13903': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 13 03:18:37 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:48:11AM +0000, Jamie Webb wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:51:51AM +0000, Andy wrote:
> > And what happens if Mozilla decide they are too busy to look at
> > Debian's patches?
> > What if Debian are trying to fix an integration issue, are they going
> > to have to contact Mozilla for approval every time they write a 3 line
> > patch? that could take forever.
>
> Thing is, the other distros don't seem to have a problem, so what's so
> special about Debian?

They are willing to distribute non-Free software as part of the core
OS, and Debian isn't. Sad that it has to be explained on a Linux
list what that is about. There's a reason it's called Debian
GNU/Linux you know.

> As I said, this is indeed not a practical problem. The issue I have is
> that Debian's free software zealotry may damage the uptake of Firefox
> (and perhaps consequently free software in general).

It's clear that you have very little respect for the philosophy of
free software, but I'd just like to point out that in this specific
instance "free software zealotry" simply equates to "wanting to
distribute a fork of firefox".

It is very sad to see the day that Linux users are willing to give
up the right to fork software that is in common use, and regard that
right as "zealotry". It is a healthy thing and essential for a
diverse ecology of competitive and open software.

Andy