Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d17100.hantslug.org.uk.9953': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 13 02:56:35 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:07:27AM +0000, Tim wrote:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 00:05, Andy Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 11:43:04PM +0000, Tim wrote:
> > > At the moment there are to many version of the same program in the linux
> > > world, the last thing the forward march of linux progress need is another
> > > firefox clone by another name.
> >
> > I assume your preferred solution then is for Debian to give up its
> > core philosophy just for the sake of not confusing a few people who
> > can't be bothered to understand the issue? If not, can you please
> > research the issue and then make some suggestion as to what Debian
> > could have done (this was not their only choice but I am not
> > convinced you understand exactly what their choices were)?
>
> I can't say that I have read anything of great lenght regarding the philosophy
> of Debian but in short my understanding is that Debian beleive in free
> software that does not have any trademark, ownership of restriction placed
> upon it, which I don't have a problem.

http://www.us.debian.org/social_contract

You clearly do have a problem with it because you have just asked
why they can't abandon it and do what you say.

> > There are other Linux distributions for people who don't put as much
> > stock in the philosophy of Free software. It's a shame you don't
> > like them but maybe you are being rather selfish when you insist
> > that it's the entire project that has to change instead of you.
>
> But are you saying that only those user that beleive in the Debian philosophy
> should use Debian?

No, I am saying that it is rather unreasonable to demand that a
whole project alter its founding principles for the sake of yours or
anyone else's convenience. It is not as if there is only Debian.

I am asking you to research the reasons behind Debian's decision and
what other decisions they could have made, before just whining "Why
have Debian done this to the poooor chillllddreeeeen^Wnewbies!?"

> I am not asking Debian to change their philosophy just give there users a
> choice.

So I repeat, given the situation at hand, what is your suggestion as
to what Debian should have done?

Andy

PS I do not agree with the Debian firefox package maintainer's
decision either but at least I bothered to find out what their
options were.