Re: [Hampshire] Subs

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Subs

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57940100.hantslug.org.uk.32051': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 19 11:15:50 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
john lewis wrote:

> This donation is _dependant_on_ability_to_ pay_ so no one should
> ever need to feel embarrassed by a shortage of funds on the day for
> whatever reason. There isn't really any need to pay double the next
> time to make up a _missed_ donation (though your Treasurer won't
> object if you do.)

At the end of the day, a donation is voluntary. Nobody will be prevented
from attending a meeting because they don't want to donate, or can't. I
think it's particularly important for first-timers to enjoy the meeting
without feeling the need to donate if they don't want to.

Personally, I'd like to see everyone who regularly attends a meeting
chip in. I don't think that £2 (or £1 for concs.) is at all
unreasonable. The bus ticket to the venue probably costs more than that.

> Currently fees are only payable for the hall in Aldershot where most
> of the time donations do not quite meet the charge so the shortfall
> is covered from LUG funds. We currently have a quite adequate sum
> in the bank account for this purpose.

And donations at Southampton meetings help cover the fairly regular
shortfall for venue hire at Aldershot.

But it's worth remembering that the donations cover more than just venue
hire. We have purchased a small 16-port switch and a portable inkjet
printer for our meetings, and some equipment to help improve the Health
& Safety aspects of our cabling. We're pretty well resourced for our
Bring-a-box meetings now, and donations from members have paid for such
things.

>> The LUG has a bank account so I guess if we gave out the details
>> then it would be possible to do that via the normal traditional
>> method of direct transfer bank-bank rather than involving
>> paypal/nochex/whatever.
>
> Hampshire Linux User Group,
> National Westminster Bank
> Southampton High Street Branch
> Bank Sort Code 56-00-68

I've always worried about giving out the bank account details,
especially on a public archive. Maybe just me being paranoid. One of the
nice things about Nochex is the ability to see who donated and give them
the opportunity to say if they want the donation to go to a specific
project.

Cheers,

Tony