Re: [Hampshire] [OT] [hardware] Dead machine?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] [hardware] Dead machine?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57767100.hantslug.org.uk.2398': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 19 21:58:10 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 09:39:32PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 19/11/06, Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> > On Saturday morning, the machine crashed. Nothing appeared in the
> >logs. On trying to restart it on Saturday night, the machine wouldn't
> >come back up at all (no POST), but the case fan started when the
> >machine was plugged in (which it normally wouldn't do). After
> >unplugging everything from the back of the box and reapplying power,
> >it finally came back and booted without a problem.
> >
> > This morning, it did the same thing, and so far hasn't come back,
> >despite being unplugged from everything for some time. The only thing
> >that seems to be "working" is the case fan -- which is permanently on
> >when the machine has power.
> >
> > I'll be speaking to the vendor tomorrow about this, but has anyone
> >else seen this sort of behaviour? Is the motherboard completely
> >shagged? If so, why did it run fine for 12 hours or so last night
> >after its first failure?
>
> Sounds like a faulty PSU to me.

It's not faulty -- I've just replaced the motherboard with the
earlier one I had in the machine, and it works fine. It's possible
it's under-powered, I suppose, but it's been great with the older
board plus a DVD drive, and fails with the newer board without the
drive.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
      --- In event of Last Trump,  please form an orderly queue ---
                          and await judgement.