Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code
john eayrs wrote:
> I use both Windows and SUSE Linux and I can use both without to much problem
> because of the way SUSE has attempted to provide a distro which would be
> easy for Windows Users to use.
>
> I first wrote computer programs in 1974 on automatic test equipment. I have
> written programs in DOS which required writing the means to run eight
> different printers on. Each printer had different command codes. I have
> had also to write in the same programs the means to access CGA screens, EGA
> screens and VGA screens. Windows 3.1 changed this. The programs I have
> written in Windows using the windows API has enabled me not to care whether
> an output display device is a printer or a monitor or a file. This ease of
> programming is not available to me in Linux. I have a database of many
> lines of re-usable code.
>
> I tried Redhat linux in 1995 and found it (with my DOS background) virtually
> unusable. The usability of Linux for those of us who are not good at
> remembering command lines is very difficult.

Is this a wind up :-) Just because you couldn't be bothered to learn the
powerful commands you think DOS is better!
> I for one welcome collaboration between Novel and Microsoft because in the
> long term it will make the migration from Windows to Linux via SUSE a lot
> easier.

Please, stick with Windows, my blood pressure is rising reading this.

> I do a lot of things in Windows because I have the software to do it without
> much thinking.

Yes, I'm getting the picture, M$ has many like you and will make sure
your addiction is maintained. Shame as you will miss out on all the
ultra powerful free languages available to FLOSS users.

> There is a lot of things in Windows which would benefit Linux. For example
> I can do hard disk backups in 5 minutes. I can retrieve damaged partitions
> without much difficulty. I can retrieve files off partitions which have had
> the MBR damaged. I do not know how to do these sort of operations in Linux
> with anything like the same sort of ease. I watch Divx and Xvid films on
> Windows. When I tried this on Linux I had to give up.

Just because you can't be bothered to learn you are again missing out on
the flexibility of FLOSS. You can only do what M$ lets you do. We can do
everything available to Windows plus a million other things.
> To install a program in Windows takes me no longer than 5 minutes. To
> install into Linux can take me considerably longer.

Rubbish. Yum and apt takes minutes to install an application. You have
thousands of applications that you can download for free.
> I use Word Perfect as my word processor. It can do certain things which is
> not available in Open Office. This ensures that I do not use Open Office as
> my word processor. Unfortunately my copy of word perfect is for windows.

Again, open your eyes instead of sticking with what you know.
OpenOffice.org has everything you could possibly want and it is FREE!
Thank you Sun Microsystems.
> I make it a policy to do byte by byte checks on all DVD or CD's that I burn.
> One never knows if one has a good or bad writable media. This is easy for
> me to do in Windows. I have not been able to do this in Linux yet.

If you download an ISO, it will have a checksum available. RTFM.
> I have heard many stories how it has taken months to get a Linux machine
> that the user is happy with. The windows desktop for many is usable from
> the start.

What, after 16 reboots you mean? Knoppix is fully working in minutes
from a CD. Fedora works as soons as you logon.
> I know several people who are able to do things in Windows and would find it
> impossible to use Linux. Windows for better or worse brings computing to
> the masses and as a result has enabled cheap machines because of the mass
> production of computers.

Linux is making PCs even cheaper. See One Laptop Per Child project based
on Fedora and $100-ish.
> Would it be more sensible to recognise that different operating systems have
> their strengths and weaknesses instead of comdemming things out of hand out
> of pure reflex. And to recognise that the thinking involved in using Linux
> effectively is very different to that for using Windows effectively.

No, we have used Windows and rejected it as poor quality software with
limited features. Have you heard about not using MS software until after
version 3?

I know this attitude is fairly common and is what M$ is aiming to
maintain. GNU/Linux FLOSS is already changing that attitude and this is
why M$ is buying in to SuSE to try and halt it.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk