Re: [Hampshire] Spam

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spam
On Saturday 25 November 2006 12:16, Jack Knight wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > I don't have a mail server but collect all my e-mails from my ISP with
> > Kmail and run it through spamassissin. Now this collects a large amount
> > of the spam but still some is getting through.
> >
> > I reguarly run training on those that get through but it does not seem to
> > make a lot of differences. At the moment the spam score is set to 5
> > (which must be the default as I have never changed it). Currently in my
> > uncaught spam box I have mails with a score of between 1.6 and 4.9.
> >
> > I found the /.spamassissin/users_prefs file but all the lines in there
> > are commented out, I did change the score to 4.5 and restarted spamassin
> > but it made no difference as it still says in e-mails that the score is 5
> >
> > Can anybody suggest where the file that controla the scoring is??
> >
> > Any suggestions
> >
> > Tim
> > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> >
> > vast amounts
>
> The volume of spam has increased considerably over the last 3-4 months,
> but worse, the quality of tricks used by spammers has improved, making
> it harder to detect the stuff. Where I used to think it intrusive if
> just one spam per day reached my inbox, I now commonly find about 4,
> despite best efforts. I note though that on our main mail server,
> spamassassin is dealing with something like one spam message every 3
> seconds though, so it's not doing too bad considering. (Before anyone
> asks, some of the email addresses we use have been around for well over
> a decade so it's hardly surprising they have been harvested by now)
>
> First, are you using razor, pyzor and DCC? If not, you should do, and
> also enable the reporting to that false negatives can be fed back
> through these channels for the benefit of all spam haters.
>
> Next, I suggest you pay a visit to SARE (http://www.rulesemporium.com/)
> - the SpamAssassin Rules Emporium. Here you will find lots of
> additional, free rulesets to help improve the performance of your spam
> engine, considerably in my experience. You should look at running the
> RulesDuJour nightly update to pull updated rulesets and thus ensure that
> the latest spammer tricks are compensated for.
>
> Finally, In answer to your question though, you can tweak the scoring on
> the rules in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>
> For example, here are some override lines in local.cf I use:
>
> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET    6.0
> score RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK         3.0
> score RAZOR2_CHECK              5.00
> score PYZOR_CHECK               10.00
> score DCC_CHECK                 10.00

> I'd try playing with the first two suggestions before messing with this
> though. Your mileage may vary.
>
> HTH,

Cheer Jack, I have just looked where you
suggested /etc/Mail/spamassassin/local.cf and all the lines are again
commented out. Now is this because it is running in default mode with a score
of 5 and if I uncomment out the relevant line and say change the score to say
4.5 then that is how it is changed or are the setting hidden away somewhere
else?

I want to solve this part of the puzzle first before I move on to adding other
pieces to the puzzle

Tim