Re: [Hampshire] Server crashing during backup

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server crashing during backup
On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 17:37:15 +0000 (+0000), Daniel Pope wrote:
> I did get some console messages of the form "CPU over temperature:
> throttling" as I fscked. So my guess is overheating? I don't know
> what the threshold for throttling is or how bad it is to receive
> that error message. Something that I do find strange is that even
> though the kernel knows the CPU is running hot, I can't seem to find
> out how hot unless I go through all the hassle of installing and
> configuring lm-sensors. There's nothing in /proc or /sys afaict.

The P4s run very hot and it's part of the design to throttle them when
they get hot - particularly on laptops I believe I've seen some
benchmarks where they just couldn't run flat out.

Might be worth opening up the PC and checking that the fans are
running okay and that the heatsinks aren't covered in a thick layer of
dust (I normally close my eyes and blow real hard!)

I've also seen a PC where the heatsink attachment had cracked and so
on first appearence everything looked okay, but then I noticed that
the heatsink was only resting on one corner and wobbled badly.

Another item worth checking for random crashes (just had a friend
whose PC had this) is "bad capacitors" (leaking or domed capacitors -
the cylindrical components on the motherboard):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_caps

OTOH my server downstairs has a few and it's still running okay :-)

Adrian
--
Adrian Bridgett - adrian@???
GPG key available on public key servers