Re: [Hampshire] Server crashing during backup

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server crashing during backup
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:37:15 +0000
Daniel Pope <mauve@???> wrote:

<snipped>
> running (Incidentally, Debian's 2.6.18 kernel package dependencies
> are wrong. I needed to manually upgrade initramfs-tools and rebuild
> the initrd before it would boot.)

I think that some time between the early 2.6 series kernels and
2.6.18 the initram tools changed but this should have been picked up
during upgrades.

<snipped>

> My working theory is that swapping from the old kernel to the stock
> new one enabled hyperthreading. I think the old one was compiled
> for uniprocessor because, well, it's nominally a uniprocessor box.
> The new one is compiled for SMP.

with current Debian kernels there is no distinction between uni and
multi processors sytems, the kernel detects what is in the box and
adjusts accordingly.

<snipped>

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application