Re: [Hampshire] Hidden partitions.

Author: Clive Woodfine
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hidden partitions.
On 26/11/06, Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 19:03:18 +0000 (+0000), Clive Woodfine wrote:
> > machine but there is the facility to backup the system files and data
> > to DVD which I have done. The documentation (what little there is)
>
> Hopefully those will rebuild the machine for you (although the ones
> for thinkpads that I've seen trash the entire disk (i.e. you wipe out
> linux if you use them)).

Thanks Adrian for your input. Reading the documentation again if I
understand it correctly you can recover the recovery partition from
the backup DVD but it then sets all the partitions back to the as
bought state, so would trash any linux partitions. I am not sure what
happens if I leave the recovery partition in place but do a recovery
of Windows from there.

> I have just used parted (and ntfsresize which I think has been rolled
> into parted) in the past. OTOH I'm paranoid so I'd take a copy of any
> data (e.g. documents) that you want. A copy of the old partition
> table is handy. Since you've posted it, you'll be able to search the
> archives :-)

Fortunately there not much of importance on the machine yet.

Clive Woodfine