Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows
Cayenne-uk wrote:

> I use AVG/Zone Alarm on my desktop machine, and Bullguard (combined
> antivirus/firewall) on my laptop. Bullguard is not free however - but
> isn't too expensive either.

I use ZA + AVG free versions (+ Spybot and Adaware) and have yet to be
let down by that combination.

On one occasion I did get into a peculiar situation where I could have
ZA or AVG, but not both! In the end I installed Norton AV as it was for
a relative who didn't mind paying, but it still wouldn't play nice with AVG.

Perhaps Martin's suggestion of a manual uninstall of ZoneAlarm was
called for? I tried using a Ghost image of the bare OS and layering the
apps on again, but to no avail. AVG has since progressed on to another
release and I have not encountered the problem since.

Sean