Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows

Author: Tom Sykes
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows
Nick Chalk wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> One of my esteemed colleagues has come up with a
> plan to move a few of his staff to a new building
> for three months. Given this short period, it's
> not economical to install a phone line and ADSL,
> so the suggestion is to equip them with laptops
> and 3G cards.
>
> These will, unfortunately, be running WinXP, so
> need virus checkers and firewalls.
>
> May I tap the collected wisdom of HantsLUG for
> recommendations in these two categories, please?
>
> Ideally, both pieces of software will allow
> advance configuration, and present no questions to
> the user thereafter. We have many staff with few
> IT skills.

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but how can it be more economical to
buy x number of laptops and x number of 3G cards (presumably with
minimum 12 month contract), than to have BT install a line (if there
isn't one already), and get ADSL?

Last time I checked, BT have a minimum 3 month contract for
reconnections (handy), and there are lots of ADSL providers that don't
have a minimum contract period.

Tom