Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows
Tom Sykes <linux@???> wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but how can it
> be more economical to buy x number of laptops
> and x number of 3G cards (presumably with
> minimum 12 month contract), than to have BT
> install a line (if there isn't one already), and
> get ADSL?
>
> Last time I checked, BT have a minimum 3 month
> contract for reconnections (handy), and there
> are lots of ADSL providers that don't have a
> minimum contract period.

<wavy lines>
You are now entering the accountancy dimension.

The manager in question has plenty of capital
funds, but not much revenue. Phone lines, ADSL,
etc are all revenue. Laptops are capital.

In addition, it's not our building, and
everything's going in three months. We'd need to
install a new phone line with twelve month
contract, and pay the initial charge on the ADSL
connection. All of that would then be lost in
three months.

The laptops and 3G cards will still be useful,
however, when the staff move to new accomodation.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.