Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Virus scanner and Firewall for Windows
Jacqui Caren <jacqui.caren@???> wrote:
> I use Sygate personal firewall which *does*
> prompt the user on a case by case basis.

Most of our users are likely to make the wrong
decision, or report that the computer's broken.
:-/

> I also use clamwin which from past experience
> with infected "windogs" picks up more stuff than
> any of the very expensive packages we paid for.

I've been running ClamWin on The Society's windows
boxes. It has its problems though, including the
tray program crashing, and the Outlook plug-in
eating all the CPU cycles.

> Also you can install clamav under samba - which
> should give you an alert if any of these boxes
> attempt to write infected files onto a samba
> share

Interesting idea - I'd not thought of that.

> Personally I would backup all machines and vape
> and restore after the three months - just to be
> sure.

:-) Nuke 'em from orbit - I like that plan.

Unfortunately, there's a high probability that the
machines will find their way onto the office
network when the staff come visiting. Hence my
desire to have them well locked down.

Thanks,
Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.