[Hampshire] Printing problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Printing problem

I have a HP2600N printer sat on my home network, I have a Debian testing box
and I have a Mepis (v6) box.

I spent 2 minute configuring the printer on the mepis box using the KDE
printer setup tools which uses cups and I was printing to the printer without
a problem.

I have spent over 2 hours trying to get the debian box to print to the printer
without any joy. I have tried to configure it from KDE printer setup (with
cups) which seem to set it up ok but when it comes to printing the test page
I get an onscreen error "Unable to send test page" ( I know the setting are
alright as I used the same setting to put into the mepis box when I set it
up).

I have also tried using cups to set it up and when I try to print a test page
its appears in the que but just says stopped.

I can access the printers internal web server from the debian box so there
nothing wrong from the network point of view. I have looked through the
various log files but can not see anything that suggest where the printing
problem lies

Any suggestions where I should start trouble shooting this??

Thanks in advance

Tim

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html