Re: [Hampshire] Printing problem

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printing problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57745100.hantslug.org.uk.27305': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Dec 1 23:36:47 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Tim wrote:

> I can access the printers internal web server from the debian box so there
> nothing wrong from the network point of view. I have looked through the
> various log files but can not see anything that suggest where the printing
> problem lies

Well, there are separate configuration stanzas in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
for ability to print and access to the admin interface. For example, I
have the following which allows any host on the LAN to print to the
print server:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.*
</Location>

and the following which does the same for the admin interface.

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.*
</Location>

Without specifying the subnet in both sections, the settings in the
/admin part override the settings in the the / part. Equally, changing
the permissions on the /admin section won't allow printing from the LAN.

HTH,

Tony