Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Tim
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x577c9100.hantslug.org.uk.11892': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Dec 3 21:33:56 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 03 December 2006 21:16, Tim wrote:
> On Sunday 03 December 2006 20:45, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you missed my talk and/or would like a copy of the slides I can email
> > them to you as PDFs or you can wait and they will appear on the LUG web
> > site shortly.
> >

> I attended your talk yesterday and while no beginner I learnt enough spend
> a couple of hours tweaking my web site today.

I'm glad you learnt something new.

> I am certainly interested in further discussion but as we discussed
> yesterday its a big topic and where do you start. One subject that I am
> keen to know is how to setup\run a web server at home so I can (a) test my
> web site idea rather than live on line and (b) run a web site at home
> (Intranet) from my server.

Not a problem send your questions.

> And to that point I have a question, I have a server which I have loaded
> Apache2 onto and gone throught the basic that the article I used outlined
> and if I enter the ip address in the browser I get a page back. But how do
> I upload files to the server. I would like to continue to use my existing
> debian box to build my site but load them onto the server to test them. I
> assumed ftp but when I tried that quickly failed??

To move files between you and the server you are best using SSH, either using
Secure FTP, Secure copy, or something like rsync over SSH. You can use SSH on
the connand line or with GUI tools, even Windows supports it if you install
FileZilla or Putty.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
    -- anon