Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk

Author: Tim
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk
On Sunday 03 December 2006 20:45, Adam Trickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you missed my talk and/or would like a copy of the slides I can email
> them to you as PDFs or you can wait and they will appear on the LUG web
> site shortly.
>
> Once you have got past the basics web design is all technique and to learn
> technique you just need lots of practice. If there is any interest I or
> others could do another talk just covering specific elements. If you want
> to know something specific just ask on the list, or put a topic request
> down on the wiki.
>
> If you want to read what I have already written on the topic of web design,
> you are welcome to have a look at my sites[1,2] where there are a few
> articles already and links to other sites.
>
> [1]    http://www.iredale.net/articles/
> [2]    http://iredale.dyndns.org/web/

I attended your talk yesterday and while no beginner I learnt enough spend a
couple of hours tweaking my web site today.

I am certainly interested in further discussion but as we discussed yesterday
its a big topic and where do you start. One subject that I am keen to know is
how to setup\run a web server at home so I can (a) test my web site idea
rather than live on line and (b) run a web site at home (Intranet) from my
server.

And to that point I have a question, I have a server which I have loaded
Apache2 onto and gone throught the basic that the article I used outlined and
if I enter the ip address in the browser I get a page back. But how do I
upload files to the server. I would like to continue to use my existing
debian box to build my site but load them onto the server to test them. I
assumed ftp but when I tried that quickly failed??

Tim

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html