Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 at 09:22:30AM +0000, Cayenne-uk wrote:

> >You can use any method you like, with FTP or SCP being the most common.
> >If you want to use FTP, you'll need to install and configure an FTP
> >server manually. If you already have SSH access to the webserver, you
> >can use SCP (or the GUI front ends to it) to copy files with no extra
> >software required.
>

> I am no expert, so there may well be better tools, but the best (free) FTP
> app I have come across so far is (IMHO), FileZilla. You may find it worth a
> look...

FileZilla is an excellent Windows ftp/sftp client, I could not agree more. The
Linux version is a little ugly and not quite ready yet though. Give it time and
it will be good I'm sure.

I used KBear at one point, it was pretty and worked well but not very stable,
and I think it's come out of Debian sid as it's not very active upstream, so
I expect other distros will drop it too.

Konqueror supports sftp directly from within the filemanager interface which
works quite well. Should I need a GUI SFTP tool I'll probably use that for the
moment.

gftp looks nice if you are a GNOME user, I've not used it so I can't comment.
Supports various protocols including ftp and sftp.

Another nice looking tool is kasablanca which is in Debian Etch/Sid and other
modern version of other distros I presume, BUT it does ftp-ssl not sFTP as
far as I can tell.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.
    -- anon