Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk
> rsync over SSH is my favourite method, as I don't have to worry what's
> changed just run the command and it all goes up correctly.

Mostly. I did have trouble the other week getting a 300MB RPM onto one of
my leased servers. It would get to ~170MB (up a 256kb/s ADSL line...),
then drop the link. I never did get to the bottom of that...

> webdav is supposed to be popular with some Windows users. It's something
> I looked at once a long time ago and haven't seen a need for yet.

It allows users to see a directory (via Win Explorer, Nautilus, or
whatever) as if it were local - but with the storage being remote, and the
transport mechanism HTTP or HTTPS. That's really good for firewalls &
blocked-port syndrome, and provides a very simple interface to users that
are easily scared...

Vic.