Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk

Author: Tim
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY Web Design Talk
On Monday 04 December 2006 12:56, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 at 10:07:51AM -0000, Vic wrote:
> > > You can use any method you like, with FTP or SCP being the most common.
> >
> > Personally, I used rsync over SSH (as Adam mentioned), but I'm
> > increasingly setting up DAV installations - particularly for people with
> > Windows clients.
>
> rsync over SSH is my favourite method, as I don't have to worry what's
> changed just run the command and it all goes up correctly.
>
> > The hardest thing about setting up DAV on Apache is convincing yourself
> > that you haven't missed the whole point, and it really is as simple as
> > putting "Dav on" in the right <Location> stanza...
>
> webdav is supposed to be popular with some Windows users. It's something
> I looked at once a long time ago and haven't seen a need for yet.

Ok going to try my hand at cli rsync over ssh, but I have lots of questions,
my server does not have keyboard or monitor, I can access it via ssh and I
can VNC into the box.

I have had a little play but failed so here's a couple of questions

1) I assume I ssh from my PC to Server?

2) Where do I run the rsync from the server or PC?

3) Here is the command I was using (assuming I run rsync on the server)

4) Do I run rsync as a user or root?

rsync -rp PC:/home/mit/web/newbpk4/ /var/www/baiter

(newbpk4 is where I store the files for my web site)

I am only intending to run web site on the server as a test, I will ftp to the
internet from my PC

Finally anyone looking at installing Apache2 on their PC\Server to play and
run Debian might want to look here (it also includes installing Mysql and
PHP).

http://allyourtech.com/content/articles/16_01_2006_setting_up_a_local_web_server_in_debian_linux.php

Any information gladly received

Tim