Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Modem

Author: Tom Dawes-Gamble
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Modem
On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 10:37 +0000, Jamie Webb wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:19:29AM +0000, David Anderson wrote:
> > Bear in mind that a modem will switch off the connection whenever
> > the PC is rebooted or turned off, and the way that Max works can
> > cause a lessening of the sync rate for a few days. With a router
> > left on continuously the rate will settle down after 10 days.
> >
> > Unless cost is a major factor, don't even consider a modem.
>
> Do you have a source for this? It sounds like FUD.
>
> The connection training period is done at BT's end. It's only done
> once. Reboots after that should not be a problem, for either a modem
> or a router.
>
> /J

I don't have first hand knowledge of this. However, it does make sense
that disconnecting can have an effect on your sync rate.

Let's assume that you have just started of with a shiny new ADSL Max
line. And your using a router that has a fault that means it can't sync
correctly so you get a less than ideal rate. The ten days go by and
your really not happy. You do some checking and find that your router
is at fault. So you go out and buy shiny a new router. The line should
now sync at the best rate possible. It would be wrong to remain at the
degraded rate forever.

I had a few problems a while back Zen support ask me to disconnect for
thirty minutes so that the line would re sync when I connected again.

Mind you my faith in Zen support went out of the window after that. It
didn't cure the problem. So in an attempt to isolate the issue I took
my router round to a friend he also uses Zen. It seems he was having
exactly the same fault. Having tried my router on his line and his
router on my line. All showed the same fault I reported our finding to
Zen support.

The Zen person said and I kid you not. "It's possible that both routers
have developed the same fault."

Two routers from differing manufacturers developing the same fault at
the same time. Sorry I just don't buy that one.

Strangely enough after a few more days both routers seem to have self
repaired themselves.

Regards,
Tom.