Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 at 10:54:34AM +0000, Tim B - Systems wrote:

> > Only problem is that computer users have been brainwashed into
> > thinking they need M$ expensive kludge and are reluctant to
> > make the break.
>
> I'm waiting for Linux's secret weapon to be unleashed. Microsoft call it
> Windows Vista....

While Microsoft have probably fixed a lot of flaws in Windows with their
7 year and $10bn Vista replacment, I don't see it as the must have upgrade.
While I'm sure it will come as standard on new PCs from Q1 next year,
I don't think the delay, extra cost, and only marginal improvment over XP
hasn't won them many friends...

Microsfts problem is that they are their own greatest competitor, and while
they fight Vista against XP, and Office X+1 against Office X, open source
and Linux based distros are making massive improvments in areas that Microsoft
haven't even reaslised are important.

Compare Debian 2.2 Potato and Windows XP with Debian 4.0 Etch and Vista. Debian
have gone through Woody and Sarge, in the same window that Microsoft have had
no change. While I know some people don't like constant change, Microsoft's
build progress is even slower and more painful than Debian's.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

A people that values its privileges above
its principles soon loses both.
    -- Dwight D. Eisenhower