Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On 08/12/06, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 00:27:59 +0000
> Mat Grove <mjeg@???> wrote:
>
> > > I am also OS agnostic with regard to function, I take a right tool
> > for the right job approach.
>
> me takes the view that if I can't do it with Linux then I don't need
> to do it
>
> :-)
>
> as for killer apps, I don't know if such a thing is needed - Linux
> with its stability, resistance to nasties and a plentiful supply of
> apps out of the box is a killer in its own right.
>
> Only problem is that computer users have been brainwashed into
> thinking they need M$ expensive kludge and are reluctant to
> make the break.

Linux and all the applications that run on it, as a whole is the "killer app".
Linux is just the kernel bit after all.
It is making serious in roads into the M$ market and M$ know it, but
the difference this time is that M$ cannot actually do anything to
prevent it, like they have managed to do with all previous
competitors. Open source is cheap, but M$ cannot buy out the company
because no company exists that is could buy out.
But for me, the M$ bit is of no importance. The reason I really like
Linux is that if something does not quite work right, I can fix it
myself or pay someone (anyone) to fix it, and then my fix gets
distributed to everyone. With so many users like me, fixing this and
that, Linux becomes much more usable and bug free than M$ will ever
be.
Just this week, I have a company laptop running windows, but the wifi
does not connect reliably to my Access Point. I netbooted the laptop
into Linux, and the wifi works perfectly first time. So, the wifi
hardware is fine, just the windows software is buggy. I cannot fix the
windows software so I am stuck there, so I HAVE to use Linux now!
Also this week, I finished sound capture features for a Creative
Audigy 2 ZS Notebook in Linux, so all Linux users now have the option
for high quality mic/line-in capture for VoIP applications on a
laptop, instead of the rubbish laptop's own mic in.

James