Re: [Hampshire] QTParted and /boot

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] QTParted and /boot
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:52:39 +0000
"Alasdair Ross" <alasdair.ross@???> wrote:

> If you're suggesting that all the distributions share the same /home
> partition, would that not cause problems for application
> configuration? I thought that some applications stored config
> details in .(dot) files in /home which would mean that each distro
> would then over-write these each time you set up a new distro.

true, but only when you run an app, eg firefox, for the first time.
Once the ~/app/.file is setup, it will be read by the app from
whatever distro you use it from and not overwritten, thus preserving
things like bookmarks, preferences etc. from one distro to another.

This happens if you remove an application then decide to re-install
it, the old config files are re-used if you haven't removed them
manually. 'aptitude purge app' doesn't remove config files in ~/
only those in /etc.

Of course I am assuming all distros behave the same way as Debian in
these matters.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application