[Hampshire] compile

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] compile
Help! I have been trying (for real, this time) to install Sunbird. I have
downloaded, unzipped and extracted the tarball and now have all the necessary
files in a directory called "sunbird".

So I changed directory to sunbird and tried to run ./configure. I also tried
to install configure, but could find only configure-debian, which I duly
installed with aptitude. I then started trying to run ./configure again.

The result is below.(1) What am I doing wrong?

TIA
Lisi

1.
[root@Tux:/home/lisi/Computer_and_Linux_stuff/sunbird]# ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
[root@Tux:/home/lisi/Computer_and_Linux_stuff/sunbird]# ./configure-debian
bash: ./configure-debian: No such file or directory
[root@Tux:/home/lisi/Computer_and_Linux_stuff/sunbird]# aptitude install
build-essential
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
acroread digikam glabels gnumeric gnumeric-common gnumeric-plugins-extra
kdenetwork kdepim kopete libgda2-common libgnomedb2-common libswfdec0.3
libtiff4 libtiff4-dev lilo lshw mailutils module-assistant mplayer-586
ndiswrapper-utils planner qalculate ttf-indic-fonts tuxracer
tuxracer-data vdr xprt-xprintorg xresprobe
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done