Re: [Hampshire] compile

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] compile
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:56:37 +0000
hantslug@??? wrote:

> (1)
> [root@Tux:/home/lisi/Computer_and_Linux_stuff/sunbird]# ./sunbird-bin
> ./sunbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
> libxpcom_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

This is a problem you'll get with trying to install apps from
tarballs as they won't necessarily include the dependant libraries.

[root@Tux:/home/lisi/Computer_and_Linux_stuff/sunbird]#
> aptitude install libxpcom_core.so
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
> "libxpcom_core.so" [snip]

correct, there wont be a package with that name, what you need to do
is find out which package supplies that file first.

I use wajig for doing this sort of thing so:

benden:~# wajig whichpkg libxpcom_core.so
File Path                                                   Package
/usr/lib/iceweasel/libxpcom_core.so iceweasel
usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom_core.so web/firefox-dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/iceape/libxpcom_core.so devel/iceape-dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/icedove/libxpcom_core.so mail/icedove-dbg
usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/iceweasel/libxpcom_core.so devel/iceweasel-dbg
usr/lib/iceape/libxpcom_core.so web/iceape-browser
usr/lib/icedove/libxpcom_core.so  mail/icedove
usr/lib/iceweasel/libxpcom_core.so  web/iceweasel

so it looks like it was supplied as part of the iceweasel package on
my system

Your problem is, I guess, that stable & testing do not include a
package called sunbird so you are having to use a non-debian version.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application