Re: [Hampshire] QTParted and /boot

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] QTParted and /boot

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5761a100.hantslug.org.uk.16998': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Dec 10 19:09:28 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 02:05:47PM -0500, mark@??? wrote:
> > If you're suggesting that all the distributions share the same /home
> > partition, would that not cause problems for application configuration?
> > I thought that some applications stored config details in .(dot) files in
> > /home which would mean that each distro would then over-write these each
> > time you set up a new distro.
>
> Also, if two different distros use different UIDs for the first non-root
> user created by the installer, you'd get problems with reading and writing
> to the home directory.
> I believe I had this problem when I tried to get Ubuntu and SUSE to use
> the same home partition. Unless of course you create and entirely
> different user (e.g. username-ubuntu and username-suse) for each distro
> and then copy across the configuration files or documents to each home
> directory.

That's relatively easily fixed, though -- you can generally just
create a user with the same uid (and name) in every install.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
        --- Summoning his Cosmic Powers, and glowing slightly ---
                            from his toes...