Re: [Hampshire] [OT] A hot new PC without Windoze?

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] A hot new PC without Windoze?

I'm personally not convinced by dual core CPUs. From the benchmark data I've
heard of, there looks to be (roughly) a 13% increase in speed over a single
core for big computational jobs (running two threads, one on each core). The
problem is, of course, that the two cores, whilst recognised as 2 CPUs, still
share the same memory bus.

My personal preference would be to build a machine yourself. You can save
yourself an awful lot of money that way, or get an awful lot more computer
for your money.

To give you an example, I'm a student with a 2.4GHz P4 and 2.66GHz P4 machine
(ie. two machines) which have 2GB ram each and 200GB HDDs and DVD+-RW drives.
There is no way I could have afforded that if I'd bought them commercially.
Including the rackmount cases they're in (made from plain cases), they
represent about £400 each.

For roughly three times the price, you can be looking at an amazingly powerful
desktop machine. Twin processor motherboard and 2 64 bit CPUs instantly
spring to mind.

Cheers,

Tim B.

PS I have 2GB of DDR2 PC4200 RAM if anyone wants them. Brand new. Asking £90
--
Tim Brocklehurst Marine Design