Re: [Hampshire] [OT] A hot new PC without Windoze?

Author: Jim Kissel
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] A hot new PC without Windoze?

Ian Park <ian@???> wrote:
[big snip]

> www.novatech.co.uk Anihilator quad extreme.
> --
> Thanks for the pointer, Gordon; However Novatech seem to be rather
> uncompetitive on price; the other 2 systems I've seen reviewed are:
>
> - the Hi-Grade Ultis Tachyon, which comes with a high speed (10k RPM)
> 150GB drive and a slower (7.2k RPM) 500 GB drive, 2 DVD writers, a
> graphics setup with 1GB RAM(!) and XP Pro installed but no monitor,
> £2149 *including* VAT;
>
> - the Mesh Elite Extreme QXG80, which comes with "only" a slower (7.2k
> RPM) 500 GB drive, 2 DVD writers, a graphics setup with "only" 768MB RAM
> and XP Media Center [sic] edition *and* a respectable monitor (Iiyama
> 1680 x 1050 flat panel) and a set of 7.1 speakers, £2249 *including* VAT.

My experience with Mesh, is they build reasonable quality machines for a
somewhat reasonable price, but their service department is crap. If you
ever send one back for repair, expect the HDD to get wiped.

They also have a nasty and possible illegal habit of taking you money
from a credit card, and then delaying the production/delivery of your order.

I won't ever deal with them again!