Microsoft Lock-in: was [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Microsoft Lock-in: was [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
luis wrote:
> Dr Trickett, why do you think that 96% of computers users in the world
> use Windows?
>
> I think I have got the answer, "it does exactly what it says on the
> tin".

Does what it says eh? As with most advertising, you need to be more
concerned about what it doesn't say on the tin!

Beside the fact that the 96% figure appears to be pure fantasy in its
quoted context, I suggest you consider the concept of "lock-in", and how
Microsoft intend using it to ensure customers have little, if any choice
in future. No doubt their ideal is to have the same concept of
"customers" as does HMRC. Freedom of choice is really what Open Source
is all about, and this is what the Redmond boys fear so much.

I suggest you look at this article from Information Week "How Vista Lets
Microsoft Lock Users In", here:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196601781

I particularly liked the quote "Crypto is like an ATM that only lets you
get money after you authenticate yourself with your card and PIN. IRM is
like some kind of nefarious goon hired by the bank to follow you around
after you get your money out, controlling how you spend it."

Says it all really.

[snip]

--
---