Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Wireless Access Point recommendations s…

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Alan Pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Wireless Access Point recommendations sought
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Alan Pope wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am spending Xmas at the in-laws and think they* might benefit from them having a wireless
> access point ;)
>
> I haven't bought one for a while and wondered what people would recommened and avoid?
>
> I'm aiming at the lower end of the market, adsl modem and wireless access point with one or
> more wired ethernet ports.

As I have a fairly large house I had the feeling that, for me, a
standard wireless access point would probably suffer from many dead
spots, so I paid a touch more and bought a NetGear WPA802, which has a
seven aerial diversity setup. I get rock solid coverage throughout the
house. I haven't yet explored how far outside it reaches. It's secured
to specific computers, web administrable and seems well behaved.

I didn't set up a high data security level, though, as I coudln't find,
in the time available, a setup that worked with both Linux and Windows,
so I have a low-ish level data security. Can't remember what.

Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.