Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Richard Harrison wrote:

> Forgive me if this is a bit abstract...
>
> Say you want to register a internet domain name, and both .com and .co.uk
> are available, is there a reason to go for one over the other?
>
> My instinct is that, for a UK firm looking for local business, .com
> suggests something 'whizzy' and new, whereas .co.uk suggests something
> more established and permanent.
>
> What about search engine ranking? Is it likely to make a difference?

If I'm looking to buy stuff on the net and I get too many foreign hits,
I often add UK into the search engine and I often eyeball scan for
.co.uk first, so personally, I'd go for a local domain if my market was
local. However, if they're both available and you can afford them, why
not register both? You don't have to use them both, and/or you can
redirect one to the other.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.