Re: [Hampshire] OT - (Linux) Media Centres not in UK yet - a…

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT - (Linux) Media Centres not in UK yet - anyone?
Tony Whitmore wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> I have just discovered what looks like something I would like to buy,
>> just on the market, but only yet in usa. It was discussed on linux
>> action show in november - it is all still very new. Obvious, but new.
>>
>> I am disappointed that they are not available in uk yet (I think they
>> are still looking here), but these guys seem to be operating almost in
>> their spare time in small quantities. I am sold on the box and I think
>> the response has been a happy surprise for them.
>
> Interesting, there are already suppliers of Linux PVR-type kit in the
> UK. A number of small firms build mini-ITX based systems running MythTV
> or Freevo. You can also buy a Tivo, some models of which are
> Linux-based. (Mr. Random will be able to give more details if necessary.)
>
> It is pretty easy to set up MythTV on a PC these days. I did it from a
> blank hard drive to working set up (Ubuntu Edgy, MythTV 0.20) in half a
> day. Followed by half a day of perfectionist tweaking. :) It's not the
> cheapest way of doing it, and the boxes are rarely quite as neat as an
> off-the-shelf PVR, but if you have an interest in digital media
> technologies on Linux, it's worth playing with!

good to know

The hannibal units are fairly nice to look at like a hifi unit, the
cases are a significant part ($150 I think) of the cost and are ok
for living room or bedroom etc. They are advertised as having
basically ubuntu, and are also marketed with an associated wiki and
forum at two levels - to end users without expertise, and also to
community supported users who will be able to manage and modify them.

The tivo needs a regular subscription to continue the ongoing information.

So for me there is still a significant gap in the UK market, not only
because I am using what time I have to catch up with things other than
TV on linux, as much as I would love to have a go. I have PC/s in
almost every room, and will not be able to migrate yet another (PC)
into say the bedroom or lounge!

--
alan c
Kubuntu user#10391