Re: [Hampshire] Broadband again :-(

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Broadband again :-(
On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:33, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * Alan Pope (alan@???) wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:42:21AM -0000, Vic wrote:
> > > Hi All.
> > >
> > > My ISP appears to be going out of business, so I need a new connection.
> > >
> > > I've looked through the Wiki page at
> > > http://hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/LinuxFriendlyISPs ,
> > > and Eclipse seem to be coming out on top for my needs.
> > >
> > > So - has anyone got any updated info I should know about before I go &
> > > order?
> >
> > I still recommened UKFSN to people. They resell ENTA.net ADSL.
> >
> > Jason is using the profits he made from his ADSL business to fund
> > students on open source projects over the next few years.
> >
> > Which seems like a good way to go to me.
>
> And to me, considering the allowance you get for the price. I did a
> quick comparison on adslguide
>
> http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?commit=Compare&isp_12=1&isp_
>25=1&isp_6=1
>
> I currently use zen, but would consider switching to UKFSN if I ever
> find 20Gb/month is a bit too slim.
>
> --
> Philip Stubbs

Well I have one ADSL line through Zen at work and I won't be going back to
them when its renewed in January. I spent an hour and fourty minutes on the
phone to tech support today, trying to prove that there was not a problem
with my router but the line\service. An hour and a half spent jumping through
their hoops to get the router to connect (at which point the tech support guy
had a little gloat) only for it to fall over 3 minutes later (as a previous
tech support guy had told me he had seen it doing in the logs). Tech support
guy gave up at this point and passed it on to BT :(

My other lines are through Newnet, not the cheapest but I get a good level of
service.

Tim