Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c9b100.hantslug.org.uk.11037': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Dec 19 17:23:47 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:33:14PM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> When I see a .co.uk domain, I feel comfortable that I am likely to be
> dealing with a local. A .com could be anything. Personally, if I
> wanted to target UK customers specifically, I would use the .co.uk
> If I wanted to project a more international image, I would go for
> the .com

Also my research suggests that Americans in particular are very
turned off by anything that isn't .com (something seen to be more
whizzy like .us .tv etc. excepted).

Note that .com will be managed by ICANN accredited registrars (e.g.
OpenSRS) and the registry itself operated by Verisign, whereas .uk
is managed by Nominet. So that is another difference between the
two although in practice this will not make any noticeable
difference.

Cheers,
Andy